Saturday, October 11, 2014

Diva Challenge #188 - National Coming Out Day

The inspiration for this weeks Diva Challenge comes from 12 year old Daniel who wrote to the Diva asking for a show of support not only for his friend who is gay but also for the LGBTQA community in honor of National Coming Out Day - October 11th. Visit the Diva's blog to read more info on this request.

I completed 2 tiles for the challenge and I'm surprised at what appeared.  I thought I would just create a tile using tangles with names representing LGBQA.   I had several tangles ready to go but every time I would sit down to get started I would have several very concrete images take over my thoughts - very untangle like and not my process at all!

So after several failed attempts at getting a tile started I began to play with trying to put some of the images on paper.  First thing to know - I don't draw real things but for some reason I kept at it especially the one tile.  Most of the renditions were so pathetic as to be humorous.  I wasn't sketching them out to actually use them for the challenge but as a way to get them out of my system so I could get back to the challenge.

Imagine my surprise when one of them actually started to look like what I was trying to sketch - could it be possible?  Don't get to excited it's still a pretty crude rendition but I  liked the simplicity and symbolism.






The other image was not that hard to recreate as it is the logo for the HRC (Human Rights Campaign - "one of the largest civil rights organizations around striving to end discrimination against LGBT citizens and realize a nation that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all."




I also finished a couple more cuffs  one using gloven and the other a modification of Yew-Dee







6 comments:

Anne's tangle blog said...

I love your cuffs, the are gorgeous!!!! The tiles are beautiful as well.

HeidiSue said...

Your work is stunning! THe cuffs...I love the one with Golven on it...they are wooden, right? Oh, gorgeous. And the "closet" tile, with the rainbow "coming out." I know how important coming out can be, so this one really struck me.
The HRC tile is reminiscent of Island tattoos...sort of Hawaiian or Samoan. Nice work!

Sue Clark said...

Very nice take on the challenge. I really like the HRC logo tile with the beautiful colors and tangles! Your cuffs are gorgeous!

DEMen said...

Both of your tiles are beautiful and your cuffs are just lovely!!

Anonymous said...

Great tiles and fabulous cuffs!

Bette Abdu said...

How interesting to hear how the images pushed their way into your Diva Challenge. Love the wood burned cuffs.

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated on older posts so comments will not appear immediately.